817 Nigerians waiting to be evacuated from South Africa – FG

No fewer than 817 Nigerians had yet to be evacuated from South Africa as of Tuesday.

The Federal Government had on Wednesday last week evacuated 187 Nigerians from South Africa following xenophobic attacks on them and other Africans.

On Tuesday, the Consul-General, Nigerian High Commission in South Africa, Godwin Adama, in a telephone interview with one of our correspondents, said the number of those who had registered for evacuation had increased to 1,004.

Last week, the Federal Government had said 604 registered for evacuation.

No fewer than 320 were supposed to be evacuated on Tuesday, but the exercise was delayed because South Africa initially did not grant an Air Peace aircraft, a landing permit.

The evacuation of 187 Nigerians last week was delayed for 15 hours by the South African authorities.

With the registration of 1,004 and evacuation of 187 last week, at least 817 people were awaiting to be evacuated on Tuesday.

The Consul-General, Nigerian High Commission in South Africa, told The PUNCH that 320 Nigerians would be evacuated on Wednesday.

According to him, the technical issues faced during the first evacuation are being addressed.

He complained that some individuals, who registered for evacuation, failed to show up. He added that officials had been contending with such discouraging tendencies from the people.

Adama explained that about five coaches were being filled with people for the trip to the airport, including many children.

Some who registered for evacuation failed to show up – Consular

He said, “We have been working since 6am when I got here (consulate). I have not sat down. We have 320 coming back tomorrow(Wednesday).Some people who are supposed to be on the flight, when you call their names, they are not here. We have registered 1,004 persons. When these ones go, we will still have people on the ground.”

Adama further disclosed that those without valid Nigerian passport were being issued emergency travel certificates, adding that certain documentation and immigration issues had also been addressed.

 

No Thoughts on 817 Nigerians waiting to be evacuated from South Africa – FG

Leave A Comment